Saturday, January 23, 2010

Grandparents

Grandparents are special people. I spent so much time with my Grandma while she was alive - Sunday dinners, lazy afternoons, holidays ... My earliest memories are of being with my Grandma Draper.

I am loving watching Zeke develop his own unique relationships to his Grandmas and Grandpas. Going to grandma's house is a greatly anticipated event. Zeke knows the way to Grandma's, and if it even looks like we might be going 'over the river and through the woods' (because we do!) he gets so excited.

It surprised me a bit just how early on Zeke began to show that he knew what happy things were waiting when we said 'We're going to Grandma and Grandpa's'. Things like Grandma Carlile's house always has crackers and Goodnight Moon, and Grandma Loertscher's house always has granola bars, ride-on and push-around toys, and often a Price is Right just waiting to be shared.

I don't think I would have stayed sane during Zeke's first 9 months without grandparental arms to hold and soothe him. Now that he's older, when we come to visit the order of business is quick hugs before running off to find the toys. Then snacks. Earlier this week, Zeke asked my mom for a cracker and a drink of milk in the 'McQueen cup'. He definitely knew and used of the Carlile house amenities!

One of the best parts has been watching our parents become grandparents. One family already had grandkids, the other didn't. Either way our parents were new to being grandparents to our child, and it has added a wonderful new dimension to our relationship with them.

Zeke is fortunate to have all of his grandparents living and living close by right now (plus one great-grandpa) and I hope that the good times and good memories continue for a long time.

3 comments:

Jordan Ormond said...

So true. There's nothing like watching your child fall in love with your parents ... and your parents fall in love with your child. Lily claps every time we pull up to Grandma Carlile's and throws a fit nearly every time we leave ... and grandma and papa eat it up!

Mama Jennie said...

What a nice tribute to the grandparents!

Stacey said...

Grandparents really are special. I miss my grandma so much and when I look at these photos, I remember how much she means to me. It's fun to know lil Zeke has such wonderful grandparents!