Sunday, August 02, 2009

Everything That Can Go Wrong

The day we left for our 24th of July weekend trip, Aaron ran errands while Zeke and I packed. We started early and I had plenty of time to pack our things and load the car before Aaron got home, even with Zeke's packing 'help'. But I got distracted and had things packed but not loaded when Aaron got back. After lunch and loading the car, we were about an hour behind what we planned. I tried not to be too hard on myself about it and we went to get gas and milk before we picked up my parents.

Then we locked both sets of keys in the car. Fortunately, Aaron realized he didn't have his keys about halfway through latching the door, so there was a tiny crack to work with. Also fortunately, we were near a hardware store, so we bought a metal rod and Aaron worked it through the door. After about 20 or 30 minutes of hard work (while Zeke and I were getting sunburned despite our sunscreen), Aaron managed to flip the lock and get the door open and were back on the road. Then I remembered I had forgotten my folder of vacation plans (including things like hotel address) so it was back home to get that. While we were home I also remembered a few other impoartant things I had forgotten and by the time we really left we were about 2.5 hours behind.

The one good thing about the day is our hotel room turned out to be a suite-style room, complete with fridge, stove, and kitchen sink. Zeke got his own room within our room, the bathroom had a bathtub, and we had the only balcony in the hotel. And it didn't cost us anything extra (I checked before we got comfortable!).

No comments: