Friday, September 04, 2009

Sleep Dreams

One parenting e-newsletter I recently received advised that if your 28-month-old is still sleeping with you it might be time to get a toddler bed. The funny thing about that advice is that our family didn't have to worry about co-sleeping until Zeke was 28 months old.

We traded his crib for a twin bed a couple of weeks ago, which he was really excited about. (And so were we because the crib was coming apart due to a 2 year old running laps around the mattress.) We knew Zeke would be fine making the transition and for about 4 days he was. Then one night he figured out he wasn't caged in and he could get out of bed if he woke up in the middle of the night. He came into our room, crawled into bed with us, and slept very happily.

The next night he didn't stay in bed long enough to fall asleep, and we had a few (late) nights of taking him back to bed over and over until he was too tired to get out anymore. Fortunately for our own bedtime, now it seems that somehow we have talked him into falling asleep in his own bed.

However, as much as we'd rather not have him sleeping with us, Zeke coming into our room carrying his blanket and wanting to snuggle is one of the most adorable things in the world.

2 comments:

Jewelle said...

We had the same problem with LIly until I got pregnant with Allie. There just wasn't room for four in our bed. We finally had to put a childlock on her door. She cried a few nights, but quickly got the hang of sleeping in her bed without us!

Ashley said...

I'm finding that a problem lately but it's only when I'm home alone and Isaiah is working nights, but I don't let him cause Kaylynn has a way of sleeping with me already! I'm trying to get her out of my bed! (to no avail!) But we ended up putting a gate on Riley's room for a while until he learned to stay in his bed. He did cry but he eventually got over it.