Friday, January 06, 2012

School-Age Boy

Zeke got to go to preschool for the first time this week! Miss Katie called about an opening in her class about two weeks ago, and we went to meet her and tour her classroom. Zeke thought it was pretty neat, and then he saw her train table and was totally sold. He asked many many times over the past couple of weeks when he could go and play trains with the other kids at preschool. At least he had Christmas and New Years activities to keep him busy while he waited :)


His first day was Tuesday, and he did great. All during breakfast and the ride to school he asked me if his nut (his 'N' show-and-tell item for the day) was in his backpack, and as soon as we got to school he excitedly pulled it out to show Miss Katie. When I picked him up, he showed me the farm book he got to bring home to read together. He's already learning things and has brought home fun projects he made. He loves it all, and I love to see him be so excited about everything he is doing and learning.


As we talked to Katie about the curriculum in her class, I was happy (and relieved) to know that Zeke is right where he needs to be academically. Zeke deserves a lot of the credit for that. I haven't had time to 'play school' with him as much as I would have liked, but we have taught colors, letters, numbers (etc) and now words as we read together and just as part of the things we do every day, and it has really worked well for him. I'm so proud of Zeke for all that he already knows, and so glad that now he has school to feed his need to learn at a fast pace. He's totally ready for it, and I know he will thrive there.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Look at that big kid!! I'm so glad he liked school--I'm sure he'll learn a ton!