We got really excited when Zeke came home with a flier for a junior track meet hosted by the high school track team. Short races and jumping events are Zeke's best sports.
We were sad that Zeke missed his 50 meter sprint. He wasn't feeling so great after school and while we were waiting in line to register. However, as time went on he got feeling well enough to do his field events. And he will have another chance at the sprint on Field Day in a couple of weeks.
His javelin throw was mediocre, but he was psyched for the long jump. He's a little froggy with springy legs! I had prepared him (mentally) for running long jump, but for the younger kids they did a standing long jump. He got to jump 3 times with major improvement each time. I'm not sure if they were measuring in centimeters or inches, but his first jump was around 53, his second was 57, and his final jump was 62!
Nora was way bummed that she couldn't register and participate (the youngest kids were 1st graders) and she really really wanted to long jump. I thought about asking them if she could try, but decided not to because there was a long line behind us. However, because I was on the other side of the pit taking pictures, I wasn't there to direct her when Zeke finished. The next thing I knew she had stepped up to the line and was jumping. The teenagers running the long jump were so good to her and she loved every second of it. She jumped around 38 all three times.
It was a great day and they love that they came home with ribbons. It was a lot fun and I'm sure we will be back next year!

No comments:
Post a Comment