Saturday, September 05, 2015

Colorado Scenery

Our first out-and-about trip of our vacation was a hike around Lily Lake. It was a gorgeous little lake with an easy walking path around. 


The first thing we saw as we got started was a duck family with mom, dad, and 4 little baby duckies. The kids were smitten. I should have been videoing all of the "Awwww, look! They're sooooo cuuuute!' But I got this cute picture instead. 



Most of us chose to extend our hike a bit and take the optional trail over the top of a nearby mountain. It wasn't too hard, although it let us know we were getting good exercise. All of the kids did great, and the views from the top were amazing. 



Once everyone had gathered at the end, we got a super nice ranger to take a group picture. 


There was beautiful scenery right around the cabin too. The Big Thompson River ran right through our cabin village. Zeke and I walked down to explore a bit on Sunday morning. And he added plenty of rocks to the river. 


And, when you get on the edge of the cabin complex, you realize you really are up in the mountains in the pines. 


Our drive out took us through Rocky Mountain National Park. Even though we didn't do any hiking or exploring, I count this as part of our sightseeing because it was breathtaking. We started out in dense pine forest, then gradually the trees thinned out. 


After that, the road goes above the timberline and it's just rocky, with a few low plants. And you feel on top of the world. I suppose you pretty much are -- we crested the mountain at about 12,000 feet! We feel like we live up in the mountains, but that's double what we are used to!


One thing I absolutely loved about this part of Colorado was the little lakes that seemed to just appear out of nowhere.  Zeke took this picture for me while we were driving home. 

No comments: